svgcleaner helps you clean up your SVG files, keeping them free from unnecessary data.
Table of Contents
The main purpose of svgcleaner is to losslessly reduce the size of an SVG image, created in a vector editing application, before publishing.
Usually more than half of an SVG image's data is useless for rendering. For example:
- Temporary data used by the vector editing application
- Non-optimal SVG structure representation
- Unused and invisible graphical elements
... Are all unnecessary in a published SVG.
- Correctness - svgcleaner should not break an SVG file
- Cleaning ratio - Higher is better
- Performance - An average SVG file processing time should be closer to ~1ms on a modern PC
In addition to the main advantages of svgcleaner — like correctness, cleaning ratio and performance, which are described below — there are some more nuances to be aware of:
- svgcleaner cleans only one SVG file. It doesn't process SVGZ files. It doesn't process directories. It doesn't do anything else. Just one task*.
- svgcleaner is strictly lossless. There are no destructive cleaning options.
- svgcleaner is portable. You can build it into a single executable without any external dependencies.
* You can get all of these features using the GUI.
See Testing notes for details.
All stats were collected using the latest release version.
Less is better.
* Most of the errors were due to incorrect
Without including font-based errors, scores were:
* Errors produced by numeric rounding were ignored.
More is better.
Less is better.
|Collection||Size Before (MiB)||Size After (MiB)||Ratio (%)|
|Breeze icons theme||21.72||11.09||48.91|
|Ardis icons theme||11.82||5.23||55.74|
|Humanity icons theme||8.56||3.08||64.01|
|Open Icon Library||207.45||69.44||66.53|
|Elementary icons theme||17.72||7.09||59.95|
|Adwaita icons theme||2.21||0.37||83.08|
|Faience icon theme||22.35||11.14||50.16|
You can find more tests, with detailed explanations of errors, here.
Documentation can be found here.
svgcleaner shouldn't change your file unless you tell it to, but there are still things that can't be preserved. So even if you disable all cleaning options there are still things that will be changed, such as:
- Original indent is not preserved
- All colors will be formatted as #RRGGBB and #RGB
- DOCTYPE, CDATA will be processed and removed
- CSS support is minimal
- CSS from the
styleelement will be extracted and processes. The
styleelement will be removed.
styleattribute will be split into attributes
classattribute will be processed and removed
- Paths and transformations will be reformatted
inheritattributes values will be resolved
- Referenced elements will be moved to the
- IRI and FuncIRI attributes that reference non-existing objects will be removed
- If the
offsetattribute value of the
stopelement is represented as percentage - it will be converted into a decimal number
svgcleaner in.svg out.svg
Change default options:
svgcleaner --indent=2 --paths-coordinates-precision=5 --join-arcto-flags=yes in.svg out.svg
--help for a list of the cleaning options and see the
documentation for more details.
You can get a GUI here.
You can get prebuilt packages here.
Dependency: Rust >= 1.13
cargo build --release
If you're a Rust programmer, you can install svgcleaner using:
cargo install svgcleaner
See CONTRIBUTING.md for details.
See FAQ.md for details.
svgcleaner is licensed under the GPL-2.0.