What is Q³?
Q³ is a project using Mozilla's Rust language and OpenGL to create a Quake 3 like game that takes Quake 3 and QuakeLive maps, voxelizes them, and allows groups of players to blow the shit out of everything in a fast-paced Quake-esque first person shooter with 100% destructible environments.
What's the current state of Q³?
Q³ is not a game yet! It's still a side project that I'm working on in my spare time.
- Multithreaded OpenGL rendering
- Half-baked BSP renderer (Quake 3 and Quake Live)
- Quake Live map rendering is... buggy
- Skeletal animation
- Using Quake/Doom's MD5 format
- TTF renderer
- Arbitrary mesh voxelizer (for BSP maps)
- Using Separating Axis Theorem and instance rendering
- Basic UI with drop-down console that provides in-game tweaking/debugging
- See Console
- Tested on Linux and Mac OS X
- Documentation on a wiki
How do I get Q³ running on my system?
I run on the (nearly) latest Rust master; I generally pull every few days. Q³ currently has glfw3, glfw-rs, rust-opengles, rust-stb-image, and ncurses-rs, as submodules. To configure, simply run (in source and out of source builds are acceptable):
From there, you should be able to compile and run a release build with:
make && ./bin/client
The server can be executed via:
You may also individually build server/client or specify a debug build:
make server && make client # Make either separately make MODE=debug # Debug symbols and faster compilation
NOTE: Ensure that you have Freetype2 installed.
NOTE: I don't have access to a Windows machine at the moment, so I'm not sure yet what will go into building this under something like MinGW. This should be coming with r0.3, as per #26.
Hi! I'm Jeaye, a C++ software engineer.
- #rust on irc.mozilla.org:6697
- #q3 on irc.freenode.net:6667