Python-mode, a Python IDE for Vim
This project needs contributors.
Please use python-mode tag on Stackoverflow to ask questions:
Important: From 2017-11-19 onwards python-mode uses submodules instead of
hard coding 3rd party libraries into its codebase. Please issue the command:
git submodule update --init --recursive
inside your python-mode folder.
If you are a new user please clone the repos using the recursive flag:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/python-mode/python-mode
Python-mode is a Vim plugin that magically converts Vim into a Python IDE.
- Be more productive: Pymode saves time by bring all tools necessary for professional developers so that you can focus on bigger things. It has been finely tuned based on decades of experience working with Vim and is constantly kept uptodate.
- Get smart assistance: Pymode knows all about your code. We use the best-in-class intellisense code completion, on-the-fly error checking and quick-fixes; easy project navigation and much more.
- Use the full power and capabilities of Vim: Unlike traditional IDEs which can only provide a small subset of Vim functionalities, you can do everything and anything that you can in Vim.
- Modular structure: We attempt to be create Python-mode in the same principles of python: i.e. have a modular structure, so that as and when better libraries evolve, we can provide you the best experience, while abstracting the details so that you can get back to what you do best.
- Written mostly in Python: 96.1% written in Python. Well we love Python :)
The plugin contains all you need to develop python applications in Vim.
- Support Python version 2.6+ and 3.2+
- Syntax highlighting
- Virtualenv support
- Run python code (
- Add/remove breakpoints (
- Improved Python indentation
- Python motions and operators (
- Improved Python folding
- Run multiple code checkers simultaneously (
- Autofix PEP8 errors (
- Search in python documentation (
- Code refactoring
- Intellisense code-completion
- Go to definition (
- And more, more ...
To read python-mode documentation in Vim, use
Vim >= 7.3 (most features needed +python or +python3 support) (also
--with-features=big if you want
How to install
Manually (according to vim's package structure)
As of vim8 there is an officially supported way of adding plugins. See
:tab help packages in vim for details.
cd ~/.vim/pack/foo/start git clone https://github.com/python-mode/python-mode.git cd python-mode git submodule update --init --recursive
cd ~/.vim mkdir -p bundle && cd bundle git clone https://github.com/python-mode/python-mode.git
Enable pathogen in your
" Pathogen load filetype off call pathogen#infect() call pathogen#helptags() filetype plugin indent on syntax on
% git clone https://github.com/python-mode/python-mode.git % cd python-mode % cp -R * ~/.vim
Then rebuild helptags in vim:
:help filetype-plugin-on) and filetype-indent
:help filetype-indent-on) must be enabled to use python-mode.
First read our short
If your question is not described there then you already know what to do
(because you read the first item of our FAQ :) ).
Nevertheless just a refresher on how to submit bugs:
(From the FAQ) Start python mode with:
vim -i NONE -u <path_to_pymode>/debugvimrc.vim
Reproduce the error and submit your python mode debug file. You can check its location with
:messages for something like:
pymode debug msg 1: Starting debug on: 2017-11-18 16:44:13 with file /tmp/pymode_debug_file.txt.
Please submit the entire content of the file along with a reasoning of why the plugin seems broken.
Do check for sensitive information in the file before submitting.
Read this section before opening an issue on the tracker.
Python 3 syntax
By default python-mode uses python 2 syntax checking. To enable python 3 syntax checking (e.g. for async) add:
let g:pymode_python = 'python3'
To your vimrc or exrc file.
Documentation is available in your vim
If you have any suggestions, bug reports or annoyances please report them to
the issue tracker at:
The contributing guidelines for this plugin are outlined at
- Author: Kirill Klenov (https://github.com/klen)
- Maintainer: Felipe Vieira (https://github.com/fmv1992)
Also see the AUTHORS file.
Development of python-mode happens at github:
Please make a pull request to development branch and add yourself to AUTHORS.
Vendored Python modules are located mostly in pymode/libs/.
Copyright © 2013-2015 Kirill Klenov (https://github.com/klen).
Licensed under a GNU lesser general public license.
If you like this plugin, I would very appreciated if you kindly send me a postcard :) My address is here: "Russia, 143500, MO, Istra, pos. Severny 8-3" to "Kirill Klenov". Thanks for support!